Tips for Writing Great Reviews
Writing great reviews helps others discover the places that are just right for them. Here are a few tips:
- Be informative and insightful: Be specific and relevant to the place you’re reviewing, and describe what other visitors are likely to experience. Highlight what makes the place special, and try to share something novel and new. From signature dishes to secret sale racks, reviews should reveal the unique experiences that places offer.
- Keep it real: Be authentic. Review your own experience, and explain why you liked or disliked the place. Try to be as accurate as possible, and include both the positive and negative aspects of your visit.
- Be respectful: Not every experience with a place is going to be perfect. Sometimes you’ll want to share negative feedback. Even if you’re frustrated, make sure your criticism is constructive. Business owners often use feedback to improve their offerings.
- Reviews not General Commentary: At times certain locations may become the subject of larger public debate or conversation due to recent news coverage or current events. While we respect and value your opinion, Local Reviews are not meant for social or political commentary. We think there are other forums that are more suited to those kinds of conversations, like blogs or social networks. Please write about your firsthand experience with the place and not general commentary on the place in relation to recent news.
- Write with style: People will pay attention when you write thoughtful reviews. Keep them readable and avoid excessive capitalization or punctuation. Use good grammar, check your spelling, and avoid profanity. Choose the right length – a paragraph is great. Be creative and have fun!
Writing and Sharing Google+ Reviews
After you’ve been to a place, you can write a review to let others know about your experience. You need to be signed in with your Google+ account to write reviews. Once you’re signed in, just follow these steps:
- Visit plus.google.com/local, enter the business name, city, and province. Click the blue button to search for the location.
- Click on the name of the business to go to its page, or click on the pen icon to write a review.
- If you go to the Google+ page, click the Write a review button next to the cover photo.
- Rate different aspects of the place using the 1 to 5 star scale, and write any information that you think will be helpful in the text box.
- When you’re done, click Publish. Any reviews that you write will be public and attributed to your Google+ name.
You can share any review that you’ve written with your circles.
- Visit the page of the business that you have reviewed.
- Click the share button at the bottom of the review.
- A share box will appear that allows you to add comments and choose circles or people to share with. Click +Add more people then select a circle or type the name of individual people you’d like to share your post with. If you’d like to remove a circle or person, click the X next to their name.
- When you’re ready to post, click Share.
Writing and Sharing Facebook Reviews
To Review a Business
- Use the search bar to find their Page and click to select it
- Scroll down to Reviews on the right side of the Page’s Timeline
- Click the gray stars to leave a rating and fill in an optional review
- Click to select your audience from the dropdown menu
- Click Review
Keep in mind that your review will appear on the Page and will be Public unless you change your audience. For example, if you select Friends as your audience, only your friends who visit the Page will see your review. To change your rating, click the stars.
Note: Reviews are not available on all Pages. A Page must add their address to allow reviews.